No Injuries Reported In Bathroom Fire At Mendon School
By: Mike Stiles - Thursday, September 15, 2022

(photo courtesy of Mendon Public Schools)

(MENDON) – No one was injured when a fire broke out at Mendon Junior/Senior High School on Wednesday.

In a letter posted on the Mendon Schools website, Superintendent Leasa Griffith-Mathews says the fire was detected at 9:30 AM in a bathroom and was extinguished by a staff member before the Mendon Fire Department arrived. Firefighters investigated the area to make sure there were no lingering sparks or flames.

Griffith-Mathews says the students were moved outside to the bleachers at the football field. Transportation was set up for the students and they were fed, while staff did their best to get necessary items from lockers and classrooms. Then the Junior/Senior High School students were dismissed at 10:40 AM.

Griffith-Mathews would like to thank the administrative team, teachers, maintenance and food service staff for going the extra mile to be sure the students were safe, fed and had the necessary items from the building.

Classes resumed Thursday, following a two hour fog delay.

The incident is being investigated by the Mendon Police Department.


>> News Archive