Matteson Township Fire Started By Heat Lamp
By: Mike Stiles - Wednesday, May 3, 2023

(photo courtesy of Bronson Fire Department)

(MATTESON TOWNSHIP) – Authorities say a heat lamp is the cause of a Tuesday night house fire in Branch County’s Matteson Township.

Bronson Fire Chief Scott Wilber says his department was called out to 926 Wattles Road just after 7 PM Tuesday. Firefighters arrived and found heavy smoke and flames coming from the two story farmhouse. Mutual aid was provided by the Colon, Burr Oak, Union City, Sherwood and Athens Fire Departments, and the fire was eventually put out.

Wilber says the owners were home at the time of the blaze, and were able to get out safely with their dogs. Firefighters rescued a cat from the house.

Wilber says damage estimates stand at $175,000 to the structure and $50,000 to the contents of the house.


>> News Archive