Two People Rescued From Coldwater Apartment Fire
By: Mike Stiles -
Monday, February 5, 2024
(photo courtesy of Coldwater Fire Department)
(COLDWATER) – Two people were rescued from an apartment fire in Coldwater.
Coldwater Fire Chief Dave Schmaltz says his department was called to the Elwood Apartments at the corner of Taylor and Clay Streets at 11 AM Saturday. When they arrived, firefighters found flames and heavy dark smoke coming out of the building.
Mutual aid was provided by the Bronson, Quincy, Union City and Lakeland Fire Departments.
When they entered the structure, firefighters were able to contain the fire to the storage and laundry rooms on the first floor. The fire was put out in about 40 minutes.
Two people had to be rescued by a ladder from upper story apartments. One of the residents was taken to ProMedica Coldwater Regional Hospital and treated for smoke inhalation. Two animals died due to smoke inhalation.
Schmaltz says it appears the fire started because of a battery operated impact drill in the lower level of the building. Damage estimates stand at $125,000 to the building and contents.
>> News Archive