Lindsey Authors Letter To MEDC On Halted Ford Battery Plant
By: Mike Stiles -
Wednesday, September 27, 2023
Michigan State Senator Jonathan Lindsey (photo courtesy of Michigan Senate)
(LANSING) – A Michigan lawmaker wants some information regarding a proposed battery plant.
Republican Michigan State Senator Jonathan Lindsey is requesting information on the State’s spending on the site preparation involving the now halted Ford battery plant in Marshall. Lindsey is joined by several Republican Senators in sending a letter to Michigan Economic Development Corporation CEO Quentin Messer.
Lindsey says many of his colleagues and himself have been wary of these deals for National security reasons as well as the massive burden they place on Michigan taxpayers. He says the announcement by Ford that it is simply halting production on a project that included a deal with the State to the tune of hundreds of millions of dollars and nearly $2 billion more in tax incentives, outlines perfectly some of the concerns he had when he voted No on this proposal.
Earlier this year, Ford announced its plan to invest $3.5 billion for an electric vehicle battery plant in Marshall. As part of the deal, Governor Gretchen Whitmer agreed to provide Ford nearly $2 billion in tax incentives that would go towards site development property tax reductions.
On Monday, Ford Motor Company announced that it is pausing construction on the Marshall facility, that involved a Chinese EV battery company. Ford did not pinpoint the exact reasons that factored into the decision.
Also, on Tuesday, the Michigan Strategic Fund voted to award an additional $65 million to the Marshall Area Economic Development Alliance, despite the announcement by Ford.
Lindsey says as the pause in construction raises the possibility that taxpayers may see zero return on their investment, it is critical at this point to determine exactly how much money has already been spent on this project.
>> News Archive